Saturday, February 16, 2008

How August Saved Valentine's Day

We'd planned to go out Friday night. The first babysitter had to cancel (she gave us plenty of notice, bless her), so we set up another. Thursday night, Dilly developed a fever, which persisted all of Friday. So instead of a date out all by ourselves, we were stuck with an evening at home with two kids and a sick baby. The best salvage I could come up with was that August and I could go in shifts to the library. Wow, wasn't that hot romance?

August got home early, bringing with him a Target bag: "Since we can't go out for a date, I thought we'd have a date here."

He'd bought popcorn and some little York mints (it's Lent, so we're technically not eating sweets right now, but the evening seemed to allow it). To go with that, he bought us a new Scene It! game to play when the kids went to bed. Neither of us is a big movie buff, but we're both insatiable trivia geeks.

He'd found a "Luscious Dahlia" scented candle for the evening. (August: "Target's the place to go the day after Valentine's Day." Mairzy: "Oh, I knew that. I read Swistle.") And he also bought me something else -- it was black, what there was of it -- that he assured me I didn't have to accept if I wasn't in the mood... but he wouldn't mind if I were.

Despite the sick baby and canceled evening out, it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable dates we've had. Forget the roses. Bring on the popcorn!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I heard there was a Target bag involved, I knew everything was going to be just fine.

Sarah said...

Oh, how sweet. Those sorts of evenings ARE always the best; I agree.

Misty said...

I love a man who gives you a 'not in the mood' option. Just offering that automatically tips the scales in the gentleman's favor.

Bring on the popcorn, indeed!

Julie said...

I love stay-at-home dates! We have Parents' Night Out at our church on the first Friday of the month. One of my most favorite recent dates with the husband was taking the kids to church for the evening, picking up Chinese food, and going home to watch the season finale of Burn Notice (that had been saved on the DVR for MONTHS and we hadn't had a chance to watch it). Being able to snuggle up on the sofa without a 5-year old and a 2-year old who insist on sitting between you is quite nice!

Sarah said...

I tagged you for a meme if you feel like it!