Friday, February 22, 2008

An Important Notice and a Less-Important Question

Notice:
If I'm going to finish that blasted novel by the end of next month, when my mother comes to visit, I'm going to have to spend pretty much all my computer time working on it. So I'll be a little scarce in the blogworld for a bit. Don't give up on me -- I'll drop in as often as I can.

Question:
I'm reading a name book called "The Baby Name Survey Book." (My question is not, "Isn't that a surprise?") The premise of the book is that it tells you what people actually think of each name, in their very own words. Their very own words are, for the most part, "This name makes me think of somebody snobby and selfish." What I've noticed -- and I'm getting to my question here, for anyone still hanging around -- is that for girl names they like, those surveyed almost always identify her as "blond." Sometimes you get a redhead, and occasionally a brunette. But for the most part, the nice girls are blond.

So, my question! What is your default image of someone nice? For instance, when you read a blog you like. If there's no picture to clue you in, do you imagine the blogger as blond or dark-haired? I almost always assume someone is dark-haired. I know a whole lot more dark-haired people than blond people. How do you imagine me? Naturally -- you'd say red-haired, dazzling green eyes, cute turned-up nose, light dusting of freckles. At least, all of you who have been reading romance novels lately.

(P.S. -- I have short brown hair, glasses, and a dimple when I smile.)

11 comments:

Julie said...

We are kindred spirits, I think, because I totally picture bloggers that I like with brown hair. From one short brown-haired with glasses and smiling dimpled blogger to another...

Anonymous said...

I never really thought about it, but I suppose I really do picture most of the bloggers I like to be brunettes as well. I have brown hair and I generally read the blogs of people who have similar opinions/views/personalities as my own so I guess I just assume they must look like me as well.

I don't know that I'd consider people with one hair color to be any nicer than people with other hair colors. After all, my high school had some pretty snotty blonde, brunette and red headed cheerleaders.

Good luck with the novel....hope you finish it in time!

Unknown said...

I have a daughter, Ladybug, who had red hair, green eyes and freckles. I did not picture her when reading your blog.
I picture people with short dark hair, brown eyes and if they're sarcastic they must have freckles, don't ask me why. Blonds are dingy, right? And glasses means you smart. Could I be any more stereotypical?
Wonder what curly hair means.

Sarah said...

Hmm, good question. I guess I mostly picture people as being in between- like brunette, but not DARK brunette, and probably with some sort of highlights. Which, come to think of it, perfectly describes MY OWN head. I'm such a narcissist.
I don't often picture people having glasses; don't know why. I guess because I wear contacts and have ISSUES with hating my glasses. I don't have the face for glasses.
I generally assume blondes are vapid and thin and have boob jobs. Because I am a bad, stereotypical person. But there you have it.

Catharina said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and this is a very interesting question. I, too, visualize bloggers to be brunettes! Could it have something to do with one's own hair color? I consider myself to have light brown hair (although people often say they think it's blond, so whatever).

Good luck with your novel!

Erin said...

I always think of a "nice person" who looks a lot like my own mom and sisters. Smallish, brown or mousy hair, smiles a lot. I don't look as much like my sisters as, um, my sisters do. I am oddly tall and serious. With frizzy hair as oppossed to their beautiful curls. They are nice. I am nice too, but not nearly as likable.

Kate said...

Over here from Swistle, this is such an interesting question. Like everyone else, I too usually picture bloggers that I like with dark hair. This is kind of odd to me considering I've been a blonde most of my life (though I've had it darker the past few months). And especially since I've always hated that people assumed I was not as intelligent as the next simply because I was blonde. Funny that although I don’t like these stereotypes, I seem to have these same way of thinking.

Best of luck on your novel!

Beth A. said...

I grew up in a heavily Dutch area, so 3/4 of the people I knew were blond. And yet I tend to see the people I read as dark haired. I also have a hard time imagining the archetypical nice person as blond (perhaps because those many blond children I grew up with spent so much time torturing me in elementary school and junior high). I'm drawing a blank on what I think "nice" looks like, except maybe involving a fuzzy sweater.

I also have short brown hair, glasses and dimples - maybe we should start a club.

Zuzu said...

I picture a wavy haired brunette that doesn't wear much makeup, but doesn't really need to due to her naturally girl-next-door prettiness. Also, she has freckles across the nose, a big, easy smile, and rosy cheeks. (kind of picturing a jennifer garner-esque woman)

Mairzy said...

A little galling that we all think in stereotypes despite our enlightened age. I guess that's why stereotypes are so enduring.

I do remember a book from when I was, what? thirteen about four or five girls who clubbed together because they were all blond. But THEN one of them makes friends with a BRUNETTE who isn't accepted in the club. What should she do?! This book didn't make a big splash in the literary world.

Our club motto can be, "You Can't Picture Anyone Nicer!" or maybe, "So What If We've Got Glasses -- We've Got Dimples!"

Marie Green said...

I don't know how I picture people... but now I'm going to be paying attention.

Also, I LOVE the baby name survey book. For my (real) name, I am supposed to be short, plump, with brown curly hair and old fashioned. Or something like that.

It's so FUN to see what image each names brings to mind.