Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Taking My Own Medicine

Today I certifiably "practiced what I preached." Because, see, there was a Valentine's party we'd said we would attend. Today, the weather was yucky and I figured it would be cancelled... but, nope, it was still on. And I didn't want to go.

I'd have to stop by the store and get snacks on the way. And -- oh yes -- Valentines for 30 kids. I hadn't told Ladybug and Titan about it so they wouldn't even know. I could tell the hostess that, um, "something came up" and I couldn't make it. Since this is a new group and the members don't know each other very well, I probably wouldn't even be missed anyway. It was easier to stay in.

But, if y'all recall, # 3 on my list was "Accept invitations." It was MY VERY OWN ADVICE.

Half an hour later, I was sitting in the van in the grocery store parking lot, scribbling names on cards for a party we were already 20 minutes late for. Once there, we didn't leave for two and a half hours: Ladybug, Titan, and even Dilly had an absolute ball. Plus, I got to meet a couple of new people, and see another friend whom I've gotten to know in the past few weeks. As we left, our arms full of Valentines, Ladybug said rapturously, "Everyone there cares for me! They all gave me Valentines!"

So, just so you know, it's good advice. Even I take it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Ladybug is a hoot!

I'm glad you went and even more glad that it was worth it. Now, if only I'd meet some people that would actually invite me to something....

Mommy Daisy said...

You're awesome. This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you picked everything up and went.

Erica, too bad you don't live closer. I'd invite you and Maddie over for sure....you too Miss Mairzy. ;)

Mairzy said...

Erica -- For one thing, this was a homeschool support group event, so it wasn't a personal invitation on gold embossed paper by any means.

Secondly, August and I had to invite and invite and invite before we ever got invited out ourselves. I remember about two years ago crying because if we ever wanted to see anybody, we had to do the asking. By now that's changed somewhat, but it's still a fact that nobody thinks of asking anyone over anymore. (Here Mairzy beats her drum and sings the same tune over and over.)

Mommy Daisy -- If you invited me over, I'd accept. :)

Sarah said...

You're a trooper. Thirty kids running around exchanging crappy cards and hopped up on punch and cookies...!
Clearly, I'm not very sentimental when it comes to Valentine's Day. HOWEVER, I applaud you for going, because kids enjoy so many little things that just seem tiresome to us jaded adults. I hope you had some fun, too!

Julie said...

Isn't it good to know that you dispense worthy advice?! Sounds like the party was a lot of fun for all of you.

Misty said...

I am lovin' that girl. :) So glad you followed your own advice! How great. Really.