Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Finding Out

Swistle, who can garner 55 comments just asking about calendars, has asked a seriously interesting question: how did you Find Out you were pregnant? Here are my stories:

* Ladybug: Well, do we count the few weeks before I took the test, when August and I both knew what was up but were in complete denial? Even when I spent all day lying on the couch feeling icky? Even when I was too icky to cook supper, but when he made hamburgers, I ate TWO of them? August and I had been married for, oh, three months at that time, and had reserved that first year of marriage just for us. God and biology had other plans. I finally broke down and took the test. Two of them. I remember sitting in our sparsely-furnished living room, feeling a mixture of happiness and sadness. I was happy about the new end-tables we just bought. The blue lines on those tests, however, were pretty shattering. It need not be said, but I will anyway, that my feelings changed dramatically once The Pregnancy became Ladybug.

* Titan: Well, THIS pregnancy was undertaken with due consideration. As in: *Pause* "Um, I'm pretty sure I'm fertile right now." *Pause to calculate* "That would make, what, falltime? We could do that." "Okay!" Unpause. Titan arrived nine months later.

* Dilly: She was the first one that we really actively hoped for. The others, thanks to my easy fertility, just sort of happened. But between Titan and Dilly were four years of nothing, and I was getting concerned. When I had a miscarriage at nine weeks, I was at least reassured that I could get pregnant. The following month, Dilly came into existence. I burst out of the bathroom and waved the test in front of August's face, while he tried not to think about what was on that stick.

I actually know I'm pregnant with a day or so of conception. I feel icky and sleepy and hungry. With Titan and Dilly both, I argued with the pregnancy tests (took about five tests each) before I was far enough along for the test to detect it. It's never a surprise for either of us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what's a little pee waved in the face when it's from someone you love??

Swistle said...

Those are such great stories! I especially love that you were happy AND sad: happy about the endtables.

Misty said...

Yay, Babies!

I really love the 'names' you have for your kids. Makes me feel like mine are plain jane vanilla...

Mairzy said...

The names you chose give your kids personality, Misty. Much better than my first choices, based on the kids' middle names: M1, M2, and M3. Whee.