Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Frolics (or Not)

It was a jolly weekend here at Chez Mairzy. First Dilly, then Titan, and finally Ladybug got a 24-hour virus. Ladybug was actually very concerned that she wouldn't get it, despite languishing on the couch and asking in a broken voice, "Am I pale, Mama?" When she did get sick, I called August on his cell phone: "Rejoice with Ladybug, for she has finally thrown up and is as special as Dilly and Titan now."

Note that I called August on his cell phone: a business trip cropped up Friday, so on Sunday afternoon he was flying across the country. Fortunately the worst of the upchucking party was over by then, so I didn't have to heap dark thoughts upon every one of the three thousand miles he traveled away from us.

(Completely random side note: Isn't it absolutely astounding that we can talk about traveling three thousand miles... no, six thousand miles... in a single weekend? Occasionally I realize that even if I don't have a flying car and automated housecleaning staff, we really do live in a science-fiction world.)

All three children are fine now, and so far I haven't fallen prey to the bug. I'm also ignoring the hulking, menacing monster of laundry that is lurking in my laundry closet. Whew, after weathering all that, I'm all for collapsing on the couch and taking a couple of days off.

Please don't tell me it's only Monday night.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I so feel your pain- Eli's had diarhea for like five days now. I'm beginning to feel sorrier for myself than for him, as awful as that sounds.
Although in fairness, three barfing kids sounds worse. So I'll cheer up!

Anonymous said...

"Am I pale, Momma?"

I love it! Such the drama queen, that Ladybug.

Anonymous said...

My kid has the innate ability to get sick (or stop sleeping or some other annoyance) the moment her father leaves for a business trip. Argh!

Little Ladybug and her need to be "in" with the sickness cracks me up.

Glad everyone is on the mend.

Mommy Daisy said...

We had a little 24-hour bug here too yesterday. I think we're pretty much better.

That is a great story about LadyBug. And I'm glad that your husband's trip was a little after the drama. Hope all is better soon.

Mairzy said...

Everybody seems to be fine, except that August and I are on the low end of barely functioning due to lack of sleep. I'm drinking Airborne like a super-power health potion.

DHousewife: Sickie diapers are horrid and horrible and I always feel sorry for myself after a day or so of it. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Now I feel sorry for you.

If you think Ladybug's sickness drama is funny, you'd have died laughing this morning when she found out that poor, dear, tiny Pluto is no longer considered a planet.

Swistle said...

Yes. But I WANT the automated housecleaning staff.

We had a huge uproar at our house over the Pluto thing, too.

Misty said...

Forgive me if I forego the 'barfing flu special-ness' :)

Also, Science fiction world, indeed. How poignant.

Finally, do you know that whenever I visting and even leaving your blog, I am always humming the "Mairzy dotes and doesy dotes and little lamb-sy ivy!" Etc. etc. I am sure that is what you had in mind, but I just wanted to make sure you knew it worked. :)

Mairzy said...

Misty -- The nickname comes from that song, actually. I'm used to it, however, so I don't make the association anymore. Lucky me!

When starting up this blog, I was crushed to find out that "mairzy" was already taken. Maybe I should have gone with "Dosey" instead. :)